lists + a call to health.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

ah, 2013. inevitably with resolutions, they boil down to a few left simmering year after year. get healthy. work out. lose weight. stop eating out so much. sign up for a yoga class. eat greens / raw / vegan. and so on. and while I won't deny the triteness and redundancy of proposing such promises year after year, I will stand firmly that despite their overuse, they're still important.

for health. I am not unhealthy. I am not overweight. I am not inactive (unless you count the last few weeks because of sickness). I am not at risk. In all accounts, I'm good.

but.

I could eat greener.
I could eat leaner.
I could exercise more.
I could go to bed earlier.
I could drink more water.
I could stop eating junk.
I could eat smaller portions.
I could be more active.
I could be healthier.

and so, this is not just another resolution. I am resolved to put forth this call to action to be healthier. not just for january until the excitement of new things wears off, and not just for 2013 as the year drags on and flies swiftly at the same time. but for life. a proposition for healthiness? I accept.

a call to health.
otherwise known as small statements that make up one resolution.
+ drink at least 6 cups of water daily.
+ get at least 8 hours of sleep.
+ drink ACV water (2+ teaspoons with water daily).
+ listen to my body.
+ 80 / 20 rule for food.
+ try to stop eating after 7pm.
+ be mindful with what I put in body.
+ chew my food longer (gross, I know. but healthier & helps you to feel when your body is full faster).
+ use palm portion sizes.
+ exercise for at least 30 minutes 3-5 times a week.
+ stretch / do yoga daily (in the morning & at night).
+ eat when I'm hungry, not when I'm bored / sad / angry / upset / etc...
+ eat / snack on more fruits & veggies.
+ stop looking at the scale & starting looking at my body.
+ tell myself I am beautiful (& believe it).

I recognize that change is not always sudden.
it's the gradual switches in thinking and living that lead up to a total lifestyle change.
but I have been implementing a few of these for the past few weeks (ACV, 80 / 20, mindful eating, etc...) and have noticed a difference.
my skin is clearer. I feel better. I have more energy. and I love eating well.
I'm proud of how far I've come already & excited to see where I'll be as this year wraps up.

I'll try to update with my progress + thoughts + challenges / goals throughout the year. I've talked about all of these health decisions / statements many times with my family, specifically my parents, doctors, and friends. I, of course, am not a doctor, so if you decide to do any of the above, make sure you consult a physician or at least talk to your parents or those who have more knowledge than you. :)

5 comments:

  1. i need to do this as well. get active every day and pay attention to what i eat are the biggest for me. you list inspired me to actually start DOING it, not just say i want to do it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so inspiring! I too need to do this and should do this - every one SHOULD do it...it's the actual having the initiative/DOING it that's the challenge. :P good for you that you're determining to live a healthy life; proud of you, girly! ;)

    xoxo,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wanting and trying to do this. The past few days I've been drinking more water, eating less and a bit healthier, de-cluttering, and trying to waste less time. I must say, it's incredibly hard. I wish it wasn't, but it is. It isn't always immediately rewarding, it isn't always fun, but it's so worth it in the end. Thank you for encouraging to continue in my goal to have a healthier and organized lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I truly admire your perseverance, I just never want to see goals like these become obsessions. I started 2012 with the same goals... then I ended 2012 with over a month in the hospital. I almost died because I took it way too far. It's hard to convey how much I want to describe in such a little space, but remember the balance. Always remember it. While it's good to be active, a day (or three) without exercise is okie-doke. And while it's fantastic to eat for optimum health, don't forget the wonderful foods in life: homemade scones with jam, cheesecake, crusty bakery bread, spaghetti with all the toppings... All of these foods I deprived of myself for too long, and now I am not able to eat them without tears or stress. You are strong and I am assured that you will never come to this, but I want the best for you in life. Balance is key.

    love,
    grace
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur with Grace :) I have gone through a very similar experience as she did and I know how things can be taken too far all to easily. Nothing wrong with trying to be healthy, I think it's great. Just remember to be careful and eat some brownies every once and awhile.

    Much love,
    -Leanna

    ReplyDelete