and even now.

Thursday, April 4, 2013

the morning air barely crept from the
dew and i thought, how early it
must be, little did i know what a
secret pleasure to be awake
before the rest of the world decides dreaming
is not enough.

i slipped from my house
and forgot to leave a note,
i forgot to say where i was going,
because when you are young
enough to forget, you are young enough
to not worry about leaving.

we went for a walk,
together and i was happy, maybe
more so than i can remember.
one foot in front of the
other, and deep breaths in summer
woods, my grandparents and
i.

once, i drank ginger ale
and i accidentally sliced my finger on the tab,
it was just a small cut barely worth
mentioning, but
i cried as my grandma and
aunt and i, crammed into
the bathroom to get the antiseptics
and i cried as they dabbed
it on my finger.

it shouldn't have happened
but that does little to change
things, besides, i was a big girl,
even then.

now i find myself
watching the sunset and watching the sunrise
almost simultaneously.
now i find myself crying
over spilled milk more than
i should and do you know,
i can't drink
ginger ale without tasting the
sky from that afternoon.

i remember the trees
spread their green canopy
blocking out the sky and my
feet were dirty from running
barefoot all summer.

and even now,
i still love
long walks by myself more
than i should.

12 comments:

  1. Awww my gosh, Hannah!! This is so beautiful!! You are a natural poet!!!<3 I LOVED every word:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I love the honesty and the realness of this. SO beautiful, Hannah. My FAVORITE stanza is the 6th. It speaks of what it's like to grow up and those things that trigger past fond memories. LOVE.

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  3. "watching the sunset and watching the sunrise almost simultaneously."
    favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my word. my word my word. oh my word. it seems that is all i can say. i wish i could have the words to tell you how much i love your writing your words and you!!!!!! <333

    ReplyDelete